Monday, February 16, 2015

Ode to a Friend

Ode to a Friend

 I said my last goodbye to my good friend Larry today....he was a dog but still none the less my friend our loved and valued family member. He will be missed in immeasurable ways. He understood english so well I forgot he spoke canine.  I would find myself prattling on to him,  he made eye contact and listened.  He knew words not just tones of voice. We often tested him. He could get any toy by name, bark on the phone and literally do any trick I could think up.  He learned a pretty good doubles dance routine to "Me and My Shadow" He was a dear companion and guardian. The smartest dog I have ever known part lab, part wolf, all loyal.

When I think of him I will smile he taught me lessons about the value of  respect, patience and understanding . He taught me that sometimes when we need love we ask for it in the worst possible ways.  The day he arrived as a foster dog, he had been kicked out by his last foster mom. I got a call said yes and 10 minutes later , she literally handed my son the leash,  got back into her car saying "Good Luck" and quickly drove off.  Larry was a handful at first, barking , biting , refusing to walk on a leash and he chased everything on the farm.

Like anything worth having , we had to work on a  relationship with Larry.  He once bit me because I tried to force him come home from the park. I picked him up furious blood running down my arm and carted him home He realized he couldn't mess with me. I wasn't scared of him. It was then that he began to start trusting us. He eventually became the sweetest dog I know, loyal to a fault.

I enjoyed my time with him as much as I do other friends. He sat by me quietly while I meditated none of my other dogs understand its not a time to cuddle. He liked to watch movies never taking his eyes off the screen. He asked for the things he needed with barks and body language. When I cry he put his paw on my back. I found that very comforting. I had no doubt if anyone ever thought of breaking into my home he would certainly protect me. Something he had the opportunity to prove once.

We accompanied each other on many adventures several included me running frantically after him while he jumped into icy creeks or climbed under restricted fences .  He could wiggle out of most any collar , harness or fence. He once hoisted his 100lb body out of a high kitchen window through the screen and into my neighbors house to steal roasting meat.


He was a great help to me,  helping round up farm animals with absolutely no training he just got it naturally.
He was always on point looking for something fun to satisfy his lust for adventure. We played fabulous games with more complex rules than most dog human interaction.  He could open the fridge , cupboards and doors. When he came to me he was a biter and a runner for good reason,  people were not to be trusted. We learned to understand each other. He was wiser and wilder than any dog I have shared life with.

 Larry liked few people but the ones he did are good to the core. I trusted his judgement. His opinion proved right on numerous occasions. He was more roommate than pet,  it sounds strange to say but we had a mutual respect for each other.

My son Dave and I were amazed by his utter brilliance we often laughed about his antics. Once while my youngest son was making pizza, Larry opened the oven and took the pizza running into the yard .
During a crowded barbecue he watched me put away potato chips then opened the cupboard and took them.  We have hundreds of funny Larry stories. He brought light and humor to us.

Dave loves Larry as much as I do. When I called,  Dave was at my house in 10 minutes dropping everything to help his friend.  He worked hard using his EMT skills  to try and save him. We were both having a  difficult time believing he was gone. Dave just kept listening for breath or a heartbeat , sadly our friend had left his earthly body.  Sometimes tears just aren't enough.

Dave used to say " Good thing he doesn't have opposable thumbs he would take the car" Nine years was not nearly enough. I hope you are having a wonderful adventure now,  old boy you are forever in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here in a ski lodge on a very cold mountian in New Hampshire trying not to miss my Black Lab, and hoping she is OK and not missing me as much as I miss her. and what do I see? Your beautiful story about Larry. You have such a beautiful way of putting your feeelings into words. Your love and caring for all of God's creatures makes you one of the most beautiful people I know, and I am proud to be your friend.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to Larry! He's certainly an extraordinary dog! His antics always brought a smile and a laugh, and his loyalty was heartwarming!
    Rest in peace sweet, loveable Larry 💙

    ReplyDelete