Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Homemade Dog Food - For the health and love of your dog

Here on my little farm there is a lot of work to do.  I do all the animal care and fix it jobs . There is always something that needs my attention. Cooking for my 5 dogs was not high on my list of priorities.  I bake them little doggie treats on occasion but thats about it. Then my sweet huge 7 year old lab Charlie became diabetic . He was 115 lbs and the vet let me know his weight was compounding his health issues.

It was a wake up call , many of my spoiled critters are chubby. I'm a retired nurse I should no better. I had to pay better attention to their health.  I was giving them too many treats trying to make them happy. I knew Diabetes can quickly ravage a body. My mom at 56 just 15 years after a diabetes diagnosis passed away suddenly from the disease.  I have no intention of letting this disease do unnecessary harm to my pal.

Charlie refused diabetic food,  I ordered several brands to no avail. It must taste terrible because Charlie loves to eat. He once ate a dish cloth that I used to wipe up gravy. He was used to eating when he wanted. I didn't give him people food but I gave him plenty of dog food and treats. He never went hungry. I realized if I was going to get him in better shape he would have to love the food and be satisfied.

I started investigating dog diets. I was impressed with a variety of blogs claiming to reduce insulin dependence by cooking for their dogs.  I followed one womans recipe taking Charlie's blood sugar several times a day. I wrote everything down and I was able to eliminate/substitute things that spiked his sugar levels. Once Charlie was stable and lost 8 lbs I consulted with my vet to make sure this was a safe long term diet. My vet thought it was ok to put all of my dogs on Charlies *diet.

Hooray in just 3 months Charlie is an almost svelte 100 lbs


He's still losing weight,  even in the bitter  cold winter ,when our activity level is lower. My other chubby guys have also lost weight.  Charlie's diabetes is severe , he had blood sugar of 500 and couldn't walk because of neuropathy. It came on quickly,  I was heartbroken,  thinking we were going to have to put him down. Luckily, diet ,exercise ,insulin and supplements have worked miracles. He wrestles with his dog brothers , climbs stairs and wags his tail all the time especially at dinner.  He was on pain meds and a variety of other meds to help with his weak legs. I have been able to wean him off everything but insulin.

Here is what I feed my dogs now. I make huge batches and freeze it.They love their food even my picky yorkie. * Please note this is what I feed my dogs I am not a vet. Consult your vet before changing your dogs diet. 


30% carbs
30%protein
30% veggies


2 cups brown rice or other complex carb like barley
2 cups protein I use chicken or salmon
2 cups mixed veggies. I take out carrots and peas from Charles dish but everyone else gets them.
Optional 1 cup low fat dog food. - Per my vet you can give them an adult multi vitamins and skip the dog food .
Optional Fish Oil
Optional garbonzo beans I add them on and off about 1/2 a can of low sodium beans , Kelp when I have it and sweet potato for all the dogs except Charlie.

I like to cook the rice in the microwave because its easy
3 cups water 1 1/2 cups rice cook on high for 24 minutes it comes out perfectly. I used brown rice you may have to adjust cooking times and water for your particular brand of rice.
While rice is cooking bake chicken or fish
In a shallow baking dish place breasts or fillets
Pour on 1/3 cup  low sodium chicken broth and bake the chicken breasts for 45 minutes or the fish for 25.  optional use 2 tablespoons of low fat parmesan for flavor.( my dogs are picky )
Microwave or boil vegetables per package directions until they are soft . I always add extra spinach.
I use fresh and frozen vegetables depending on the time of year. Never corn it's fattening and raises blood sugar in diabetic dogs. It's not good for healthy dogs either.

Cut chicken, fish and veggies into small pieces mix with rice add a little more chicken broth if too dry I add 3 pumps of fish oil for every 6 cups. I use Dermaquin plus . There are lots of different doggy fish oils on the market. I get mine free when I order Cosequin from www.valleyvetsupply.com I will probably change to salmon oil when the free with purchase runs out.   Stir everything together divide into meal size packages and freeze. I microwave for 4 minutes to defrost before feeding. My large dogs eat 6 cups a day . My tiny dogs eat differing amounts depending on weight.

For healthy treats I hardboil eggs and cut the whites into strips. I put them in a ziplock in the fridge for quick access.  The dogs all love them. I used to give all sorts of bad packaged treats . They also get Cosequin chews everyday for their joints. I give the yolks to my chickens and peacock or add tiny bits for taste to the dog food. It's been 3 months Charlie is doing really well. My other dogs are enjoying their food , everyones coat is shiner and they have more energy .Jimi my 13 year old chihuahua can jump on the couch. He hasn't been able to get up there in years.  I am thrilled they all look healthy and happy. It's worth the effort and with sensible buying It costs me less than their dry dog food.
Do you feed your dog homemade food? Do you use supplements? I would love to hear from other pet owners about their dog food choices.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for your share. Every little lesson learned and shared is so appreciated. I have over weight chocolate lab vet and I have tried so hard. So I'm going to try your mix. And also thank you on the corn tip. Won't do that any more.. Lol ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how your lab is doing. I hope it works well for you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the work you put into forming this Diabetic Stew. There is little out there and UC Davis in California has a program you can choose Diabetic but it comes up with food my dog will not eat. I am working on my own using yours as well as others to form one for my "Best Friend".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this wonderful post! I admire your dedication and love for your family of pooches. I'm looking into making my own dog food at home and instead of fish oil will be opting for virgin coconut oil, which is more potent and healthier from what I've read. I'm also considering brown or red rice to give my dog the grains she need. Here's a great site that I visited and hope it helps you, too http://dogsaholic.com/food_treats/diabetic-dog-food.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, thanks for the compliment and advice. I do give my dogs coconut oil but one is allergic so I don't yes it for food. I use it as supplement and on their skin .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the author of The Culinary Canine: 30 Chefs Cook for Their Dogs and would like to include your recipe and story in our new book of farm to table recipes for dogs. Please contact me at: klfeldman@aol.com if you are interested in hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn
      Thank you I would be honored to share my recipe. I will email you

      Delete
    2. Kathryn
      Thank you I would be honored to share my recipe. I will email you. I am sorry for the late reply. I stopped posting in this blog after I moved from my farm last year
      to get married and adopt a little girl.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard boiled egg whites for dog treats. That's a brilliant idea. I recently read that fish oil isn't he best fatty acid. Corn oil or walnut oil was recommended in lue of the fish oil. I was making my own and had been using fish oil also. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just came across this. My dog was just diagnosed too unfortunately. He even went blind ),: idk if you'll read this but I found this and glad I did. Thank you & so glad your pup did great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a 12 year old puggle diagnosed about a month now. Cataracts developed quickly too. She's going in for surgery in 2 weeks. Dog nutritionist recommended a veggie and chicken diet along with several herbal supplements, no grains or any orange veggies. Her weight dropped 6 lbs when we realized she was having problems. Since the new diet and insulin twice daily she's not put any of the weight back on. Her energy levels are back to normal and aside from not seeing and bumping into everything it's like we got our pooch back. She's going in for a 2nd glucose curve later this week. I'll check with the vet on the diet see if we should continue or any recommendations. I do like yours as it supplies a bit more natural foods. I'll print it out and bring it along when I see the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your story about your fur babies! We have been wanting to take our two miniature schnauzers off "dog food" and make their own because we know #1 it is a lot healthier for them as they are 7 and 10 years old and #2 will be a lot cheaper. Your recipe includes the foods we already eat (veggies, eggs, chicken and fish) so it wouldn't be hard to do and would just by extra of those ingredients. I am so excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ensure that your pets get the maximum care and attention they deserve. You need to provide you with the Best Quality Nutritional Supplements for Dogs to ensure that they remain in the best health

    ReplyDelete
  13. But for the most part the best that doctors could offer their patients was a "wait and see" approach. Medicine could handle bone fractures and increasingly attempt risky surgeries (now largely performed in sterile surgical environments) but medicines were not yet available to handle serious illnesses. diabetes forum

    ReplyDelete
  14. When the employees see the blood, sweat, and tears of the executives right alongside of them it not only encourages them but they feel more relaxed and get to know the bosses better and this helps to build better working relationships. is subway ok for diabetics



    ReplyDelete