Sunday, February 1, 2015

DIY Effective Natural Cleaners To Remove Pet Odors and Stains

Lots of animals means lots of unpleasant smells. I found a few great recipes over at Everyday Roots.com  I started using some of them. I am particularly impressed with the enzyme cleaner.  I can't wait to try the natural flea remedy this spring.






This adorable little devil peed on my brand new hall runner- ugh why I have no idea . He is my best  trained critter. I guess we all have off days.  I completely removed the stain and odor (* I checked it with a pet pee flashlight) . this is a great recipe.  I used to use Natures miracle and I had some good and some not so good results. Natures Miracle and other products are expensive. I like the enzyme action but I wasn't thrilled with the smell.  Using this almost free homemade enzyme cleaner

 I have had wonderful stain free no smell results. I use it on my barn boots and shoes, dog beds, sofa, as a grout cleaner, wood floor cleaner  on any tough rug stain , cages and on everything in my dogs room.   I have no carpet in my house just rugs so it is easier to get them clean.  It does work well on wall to wall carpet too. My partner Mike has an immaculate pet free house full of light grey carpet. I frequently bring my small dogs to visit.  Recently my 3 lb little terror Daisy knocked over a full glass of wine all over the sofa and rug. Panic set in when Resolve just turned it brown.  I used the enzyme cleaner left it over night and voila all perfectly clean, disaster averted.  I also use 1/2 cup added to my detergent to clean barn clothing,  pet clothing and blankets.  This cleaner has saved me on more than one occasion , dog lovers know what I mean . Even the best behaved pets can haves an accident.

I make several jars at once,  I modified this recipe slightly from the original I find adding a little more sugar is effective

Citrus Enzyme Cleaner
1 liter  very warm water 
10 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups lemon, lime or orange peels
optional week 4  add 1/4 teaspoon of yeast added to increase enzymes

Use 2 quart jar add sugar then peels and fill with water. Tighten lid but check every few days.
You will need to loosen the lid to allow gases from fermentation to escape. It will eventually get clear
that means all the sugar has been used and it's ready . This takes about 3 months . I make a large quantity and pour into several jars so I always have some available. The best part is this is all natural and won't harm your children or pets.

The key to getting a stain out is make sure to use enough and be patient.  A tiny dog urinates about 4 oz it goes up from there. Depending on the size of the spot determines how much I use.
I use more than the original stain. For a 6 0z glass of wine I use about 8 oz of cleaner.

For Spots and Odors

1. Blot stand on paper towels on rags to make sure you get as much of the liquid out as possible
    then repeat until the paper towel is clean

 2. Pour on enzyme to make sure the entire area is soaked
 3. leave at least 1 hour patience is critical to remove odor. It takes enzymes a long time to break
     down odor and stains.  If the stain is set in leave over night and repeat as necessary.

For Wood , Tile or Vinyl Floors
I dilute 2 cups in a bucket of warm water and mop the floor with a damp not wet mop
make sure to thoroughly dry wood floors to keep them from warping.

For Laundry
I add 1 cup per load along with the detergent


Do you have a natural cleaner recipe? Please add your recipe in comments. I would love to hear form you.

Happy Cleaning!






No comments:

Post a Comment