Friday, February 6, 2015

Big Plans for this Little Farm...Inspired by homesteaders

When my heater broke this winter I realized how dependent I am on the grid and repair people. I have been fascinated with off the grid living, homesteads, farms and tiny houses for years. The idea of living a more sustainable and self sufficient life has always been attractive to me. When I was a child I read "My Side of The Mountain"  I had every intention of moving into a tree. My son teases me about my ideas but he's interested and often helps. My partner Mike just shakes his head.


This spring I am making a huge attempt at more self sufficiency on this little farm. I have a farm but everyone just lives her eating away and making me smile. The chickens and ducks produce eggs , they are doing their part. I don't eat and can't imagine ever being able to eat animals from here. I need non kill strategies for self sufficiency. I grow sprouts, can food, sew things, upcycle and sell a few eggs.  I have come along way but there is so much that could be done.  The farm is really just a rescue for my now pet farm animals. I have made some nice things from Gracies's wool but I am nowhere near proficient at spinning.  I  occasionally make felt projects but I could do so much better.  I am committed to making my self and this place more self sufficient. I am inspired by blogs and videos like fmicrofarm.com
  http://oldworldgardenfarms.com ,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmTJkZy0rM                         

This  spring will begin my front yard straw bale garden I don't have enough sun in the back to have a good garden.  Next will be a new straw bale or cobb house for Pablo my famous pig, a cobb oven out back built with my son and grand children, possibly milk goats, or fiber rabbits. I mull around the idea of a farm store for the tons of completed projects I have sitting in boxes.  I would love to give more animals an opportunity to live out their lives here. The best way to do this is to cut down on costs.

I dream of building a rocket mass heater for the house to quell oil consumption.  Mike is less than enthusiastic about the plan. It took weeks to get him on board with a wood stove.  I'll start with a rocket heater for the barn . The barn is my domain so anything goes there.  I am looking at all sorts of solar power for the barn too. I may be spending too many sleepless hours on homesteaders web sites.
The 1970 college age environmentalist in me and been awakened. My son has started to call me Frodo Baggins because of my small house obsession. It's a new adventure I can't wait to take.



Since I moved here I have learned to do all sorts of things out of necessity . I had to learn all about the creatures that share my space. I found out very quickly after a fox attack,  injured farm animals especially chickens needed me to treat them immediately. I am a retired nurse so I have some medical knowledge.  There are very few vets that even see farm fowl and none in the dark of night. I made frantic calls with a bleeding duck one night to now avail, then I finally stitched him up. I found antibiotics at the local feed store and the rest is history. He lived and seems not worse for the wear except a crooked scar.   I now order medication on line.  I have suture kits and all sorts of preventive products.  The arsenal of animal medication and vet manuals has saved me thousands of dollars and my critters get great care. I watch for problems and treat quickly before anything gets out of hand. I use lots of natural remedies. When we do see the vet I understand the treatments and feel confident to ask pertinent questions. So far this method has been working for 8 years. Everyone is healthy and needs only yearly check ups.  Sickness among my farm animals is rare. 

I've built furniture and stalls, put up slightly crooked but sturdy fences, learned some minor plumbing and carpentry, fixed and refixed mistakes all the while learning. This place inspires me to learn to care for myself without a lot of outside help. It feels great to heal someone, build or fix something be able to provide food for friends.  This year is going to be a banner year. Projects I was too afraid to take on seem possible now.  Have you done some self sufficiency projects at home? I would love to hear about them.

Happy Farming


No comments:

Post a Comment