Monday, June 1, 2015

Thunder Birds and Henry

A crisp morning turned into a hot humid afternoon. I just finished fixing hinges in the horse stall. The goats have been using their heads to butt open locked doors. Goats are always doing something to get into trouble. My phone rang, it was a driver named Bill . Bill informed me "I have your baby chicks ". After explaining" I don't drive" making it impossible for me to get to the post office in the next 10 minutes, before they closed,  Bill decided to bring them to me.  Bill is not supposed to deliver them to me. He was just a nice guy.  Right then, a storm came rushing in, sky turned vicious black, rain pelted the tin barn roof. I hustled to get all my critters and tools inside. I looked up to see a huge all white semi trailer truck blocking the busy road out front. It was too big to turn into the driveway and there is no shoulder. I ran out to greet it. Cars honking, as Bill handed me a tiny box. He explained he kept the box up front with him all the way from Iowa." They are too little to be in the back ." "They like the Beatles,Yesterday is their favorite it calms em down". I smiled looks like this flock, the Thunder birds,  is off to a good start. Thanks Bill.

Over the years I have learned that if chickens get plenty of socialization with humans early on they are better farm citizens. They listen, can be picked up easily and don't try to leave the yard. I have a system, hold each one repeating their name to them while rubbing their ears(chickens love to have their ears rubbed). They eventually will all know their own name and come to it. Days are spent outside in a protected pen with interesting things to climb on and small tubes to play in. I get them this time of year, once its warm, so they can be brooded in the barn with their future family. Fingers crossed this is going to be a wonderful flock providing lots of healthy nutritious eggs and entertainment. I love chickens.









The girls aren't the only new comers. They join two ducklings and a tiny Serama rooster called Henry. Harry and Rory my grandchildren's ducklings were named by Harrison and Rory .  There's a pattern here, my little horse is named Andy named by my nephew Andrew. I have assorted chickens bearing the names of some of my former students. Kids are funny.  







Henry is an amazing little guy weighing in at less than 1 lB. Henry was raised with four children in
a house. He likes people. He doesn't know how
to perch like a normal rooster and never crows. I
do take Henry on visits to Mikes house. He's an excellent guest and seems to enjoy the outing. Memorial Day was extra special because Henry came to the BBQ. I am tempted to treat henry like a parakeet. Keep him in a bird cage in the house. Good for me, bad for Henry. A chicken deserves to live like chicken, happily scratching the earth for bugs and hanging out with a flock. Henry comes when called and enjoys being held. He will even jump into my lap for a cuddle. I'm over the moon for him. 


Henry is getting used to being a chicken. He heads for the barn now as the day comes to a close. He was petrified of outside at first, he wouldn't even leave my side for a second. He sort of froze when ever I set him down. Now he runs all over. scratching away. He's gone after the Peacock on several occasions making me belly laugh . He put himself in charge of the new baby girls. He protects them against anyone coming close. Jumps at all intruders except me . It's created a few scuffles with Hercules my chihuahua who considers himself the guardian of all baby chicks.


All of the new babies chirping attracted a fox .We get lots of fox usually at night. I haven't lost a chicken to a fox in 2 years. They keep trying but better fencing coupled with diligent husbandry has kept them safe so far, fingers crossed. I call this one swiper after the fox in Dora the Explorer. We were introduced in broad daylight as she was locking her jaws onto a chicken named Oreo. Oreo flew over the fence into the horse pasture.  Luckily my shouts accompanied by chasing, while waving a rake , caused swiper, to lose her grip.  Oreo ran down the hill to safety.  A little blood stop and some antibiotics are helping Oreo recover from her near death experience.


Since swipers first visit she has been by many times. I decided to start  feeding her. I am employing, a successful strategy , suggested by a fox loving neighbor, several years ago. The fox in question,  was particularly brazen , killing an entire flock of guinea fowl one sunny afternoon.  They are opportunistic hunters, full tummy keeps them from snacking on my feathered kids while helping little kits survive.   Swiper must have kits to be out during the daylight. It's not her fault, I hold no malice for her. I am hoping to get a glance at her kits one day.


Now the search is on
for tiny Serama chicks for Henry's flock. The girls he's watching now will be 7 times his size when grown. He could easily be hurt or killed. chickens can be very aggressive with each other.  Henry needs a covered yard and can't be around the other roosters, he's just too small. So it looks like were going to have a tiny little flock soon. I'll take lots of pictures and post for my animal loving followers. I am so excited to see what a tiny Serama egg looks like. Thanks for reading , you are awesome, I appreciate my readers. I am hoping to get enough followers to help support some of the rescued farm animals,  I call family. Making way for more unwanted animals to join our little menagerie. 




No comments:

Post a Comment