Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Summertime and the living is easy

So far the summer is moving along beautifully here on the farm. This year is one of the calmest I can remember. Like most people, I love summer, lots of lemonade and a little reading on the porch . Animals are happy with the long lazy days. The best are farm days when I can work all day around here and enjoy everyone.  My kind of heaven,  the farm critters roaming around while I read or do chores. The goats love to come up on the porch and hang out with me. They are characters, goats are fun and easy.

I have been working on the to do list. ugh...it never seems to get finished , at least I have made lots of progress this year. I have only had to scrap a couple of projects, most projects turn out well but not all. You tube and DIY blogs have made a big difference.  To save my sanity , I instituted the policy " if you didn't help build it , you don't get an opinion." This keeps irritation levels low, when Mike , Dave or my neighbors decide to critique my work. I am after all not a carpenter not do I have a big budget to complete projects. As long as it's clean, keeps the animals safe but isn't an eye sore,
I'm good to go. I'm not against advice , if it's reasonable or you are willing to help build. My son is eternally frustrated with my projects, he is usually my ride to Home Depot. Dave, has lots of advice, I rarely listen. You know, it's hard to take your children's advice seriously, unless it's about computers then I listen.  On our last trip to Home Depot, he asked  "Mom are you rebuilding the house? What are you doing with all the wood?" I just laughed.

 Chickens got new nesting areas, made from some cast off dressers. They have stopped squabbling over nesting boxes. It's much quieter in the chicken house now. Everyone seems to have claimed a favorite. I'm getting a record number of eggs. My neighbors get peace and free fresh eggs.  A new fence and some pasture grass seed , have given Andy the miniature horse and goats more grazing area. Buddha and Gandhi (goats) were bored,  now they can cause trouble in a new place.   I love being able to open the back gates and just let everyone wander around. Since we live on a busy road it does cause a little slow down every now and again. People from other areas , aren't used to seeing animals roaming around the front yard. Several passersby have stopped to take photos. A couple from Brooklyn asked to take pictures of Andy with their reluctant toddler.  I'm not sure why anyone wants a picture of a crying child on a horse but Andy cooperated despite the noise.


















Since it is safe , the chickens roam out front , they have cleared up the gnat problems. I hate gnats don't you? Sadly,  I didn't get the front yard garden finished in time to plant, there was just too much to do. I was really disappointed in myself. Looks like it will only grow pumpkins this year and then a slew of veggies next. It seemed like a perfectly feasible idea ,in February. I forgot all the work it takes to get the farm back into shape after a hard winter. The backyard and preschool playground look good finally. Now I just have to refinish the deck,  one area will actually be finished for now. I finally built an outdoor sink and potting bench from some old pieces of furniture.  It's working out well. I really needed it to wash hands and eggs. It will get a coat of paint once the torrential rain storms stop.

We have a couple of new residents a pig named Rapunzel and a cat named Oscar. Rapunzel had her ear chewed off by a sibling. She needed a new home and some understanding.  She's a tiny 7lb terror. I guess losing an ear makes you edgy. She likes my son Dave the best. When he visits she calms down.  Whenever I try and get her to do anything, she responds with ear piercing screams.  Time and patience will make a big difference. Good thing she is adorable. Oscar had issues at home but he seems to be working out well here. Hopefully he will only need a few weeks rehabilitation and training then he can return to his family. Rapunzel loves him which is good because they share a spare bedroom. Once Rapunzel is older she will move into the pig apartment Dave built , out back. Hopefully she will like Pablo and keep him company during the daytime For now she's inside with  daily outdoor rooting play time. Pigs are so easy to house train. House training is literally the only easy thing with a pig,  everything else takes work. Please don't run out and get one until you do your homework. They have lots of bad habits. I get calls several times a year about a pig that needs a new home.

I hope you are all having a wonderful summer. Thanks for reading my stuff,  I truly appreciate you.



No comments:

Post a Comment